Pastor Jonathan Falwell
Titus 1:1-4a (NKJV) Paul, a bondservant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God’s elect and the acknowledgment of the truth which accords with godliness, 2 in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began, 3 but has in due time manifested His word through preaching, which was committed to me according to the commandment of God our Savior; 4 To Titus, a true son inourcommon faith…
Titus 1:1-4a (NLT) This letter is from Paul, a slave of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ. I have been sent to proclaim faith to those God has chosen and to teach them to know the truth that shows them how to live godly lives. 2 This truth gives them confidence that they have eternal life, which God—who does not lie—promised them before the world began. 3 And now at just the right time he has revealed this message, which we announce to everyone. It is by the command of God our Savior that I have been entrusted with this work for him. 4 I am writing to Titus, my true son in the faith that we share.
The message of the Gospel is the single most important element of the Christian’s life. It is not a
“one and done” transaction with God, it is a life-changing, life-altering decision which should guide you for the rest of your days. The hope of the Gospel is absolute, the spread of the Gospel is up to us.
1. We don’t have a choice
Vs 1 – …a bondservant of God/a slave of God
- Greek word – doulos= one who is a slave in the sense of becoming the property of an owner
- Paul recognized his faithfulness to the Gospel and to the giver of the Gospel was not an option, it was required
2. Not just to know truth, but to live truth
Vs 1b – …according to the faith of God’s elect and the acknowledgment of the truth which accords with godliness
Vs 1b (NLT) – …teach them to know the truth that shows them how to live godly lives.
- This is a picture of our own spiritual growth: faith, knowledge, godliness
- When we come to Christ, we are not simply given a key to Heaven, we are given the duty of representing Heaven here
3. This truth matters
Vs 2 – in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began
- The promise of the Gospel is an eternal reward, which cannot be removed, lost, or destroyed
- This is God’s promise
4. It’s our job, It’s our joy
Vs 3 – but has in due time manifested His word through preaching, which was committed to me according to the commandment of God our Savior;
Vs 3 (NLT) – It is by the command of God our Savior that I have been entrusted with this work for him.
- As a result of the truth and the promise of the Gospel, it should be our absolute joy to talk about it
5. Given to us all
Vs 4 – To Titus, a true son in ourcommon faith…
- This was not an exclusive calling only to Paul, it was one that requires us to help others accomplish
- Titus was a gentile who Paul challenged to be faithful in sharing the Gospel and growing the church…can we be trusted to do the same?