Pastor Jonathan Falwell
1 John 1:1-4 (NLT) We proclaim to you the one who existed from the beginning, whom we have heard and seen. We saw him with our own eyes and touched him with our own hands. He is the Word of life. 2 This one who is life itself was revealed to us, and we have seen him. And now we testify and proclaim to you that he is the one who is eternal life. He was with the Father, and then he was revealed to us. 3 We proclaim to you what we ourselves have actually seen and heard so that you may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. 4 We are writing these things so that you may fully share our joy.
1. Jesus has always been the only Way
1:1a We proclaim to you the one who existed from the beginning…
- At a time when everyone is looking for anything that can bring joy, peace and contentment; the answer is still the same…Jesus
- John clearly wanted to point people to Christ for he knew the hope we needed was in Christ alone
2. Jesus became like us to save us
1:1b … whom we have heard and seen. We saw him with our own eyes and touched him with our own hands. He is the Word of life.
- Some false teachers at the time were declaring that Jesus wasn’t really fully man when He was on earth
- John is reaffirming the Incarnation of Christ. Jesus was fully man and fully God which was necessary to fulfill His mission
3. Jesus came to give us life
1:2b … And now we testify and proclaim to you that he is the one who is eternal life. He was with the Father, and then he was revealed to us.
- John also reaffirms the statement Jesus made in John 14:6
- He also states that Jesus has always been and will always be
Rev. 1:8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega—the beginning and the end,” says the Lord God. “I am the one who is, who always was, and who is still to come—the Almighty One.”
4. Jesus came to bring us home
1 John 5:20-21 And we know that the Son of God has come, and he has given us understanding so that we can know the true God. And now we live in fellowship with the true God because we live in fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ. He is the only true God, and he is eternal life. 21 Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God’s place in your hearts.
- Jesus has come
- He has revealed truth and hope
- He has given us the opportunity through his resurrection to have fellowship with God
- HE has given us the promise of Heaven
- So, why do we run from Him?