Memory Verse: Matthew 9:38 (NKJV)
“Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.”
When we hear about or see a movie we love, we tend to tell our friends. The gospel is God’s Good News story, better than any movie! Are you taking it to your friends? Bring it to them, or take them to hear – just do it!
The Good News Story – John 3:16
“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
• God’s Story: He loves me! [John 3:16]
• My Story: I’m a sinner and deserve to be punished [Rom.3:10, 23]
• God’s Story: Jesus paid the price on the cross [1 Peter 3:18]
• My Story: I have been given salvation by His grace. I must call on His name. [Romans 10:13, Eph.2:8-9]
• God’s Story: He promises to save me for eternity! [Rom.8:38-39]
1. TAKE PEOPLE TO JESUS [v.2-8]
v2 Then behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, “Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you.” 3 And at once some of the scribes said within themselves, “This Man blasphemes!” 4 But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil in your hearts? 5 For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Arise and walk’? 6 But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins” — then He said to the paralytic, “Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.” 7 And he arose and departed to his house. 8 Now when the multitudes saw it, they marveled and glorified God, who had given such power to men.
◦ “They tried to take him inside to Jesus, but they couldn’t reach him because of the crowd. So they went up to the roof and took off some tiles. Then they lowered the sick man on his mat down into the crowd, right in front of Jesus” [Luke 5:18-19 NLT]
◦ “the man jumped up, picked up his mat, and went home praising God:”. [Luke 5:25 NLT]
2. TAKE JESUS TO PEOPLE [v.9-13]
v9 As Jesus passed on from there, He saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.” So he arose and followed Him. 10 Now it happened, as Jesus sat at the table in the house, that behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and sat down with Him and His disciples. 11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” 12 When Jesus heard that, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.’ For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”
“So Levi got up, left everything, and followed him. Later, Levi held a banquet in his home with Jesus as the guest of honor. Many of Levi’s fellow tax collectors and other guests also ate with them.” [Luke 5:28-29 NLT]
3. TAKE JESUS’ BURDEN [v.35-38]
v35 Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. 36 But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. 37 Then He said to His disciples, “The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few 38 Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.”
• He served those in need
• He had compassion
• He asked God to send workers