Pastor Jonathan Falwell
Key Verse: Prov. 14:12 There is a way that seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death.
Prov. 14:12 There is a path before each person that seems right,
but it ends in death.
Proverbs 21:2 People may be right in their own eyes,
but the Lord examines their heart.
The phrase, “every man did that which was right in his own eyes”, appears multiple times throughout the Old Testament. In each case, it was a picture of the nation going in the wrong direction as a result of people not following God’s Word or God’s plan. The situation then was not much different than the situation now. We are once again living in a “every man did that which was right in his own eyes” culture and the results are the same; We are in trouble, the church is in trouble, our future is in trouble. It’s time to turn things around and stop living in a way that we think is right and start living in the way that God has told us is right.
Psalm 119:9 (NLT) How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word. 10 I have tried hard to find you— don’t let me wander from your commands. 11 I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. 12 I praise you, O Lord; teach me your decrees. 13 I have recited aloud all the regulations you have given us. 14 I have rejoiced in your laws as much as in riches. 15 I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways. 16 I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word.
Keys To Living Right
1. Obey His Word (vs 9)
– It is only possible to live right through obedience, you can’t make it up along the way
– “Obedience is the very best way to show that you believe. Doing exactly what the Lord commands, doing it happily.” 1
– James 4:17 Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it.
2. Seek Him (vs 10)
– “tried hard” – lav (layve) = with my whole heart, everything that I am
– In order to live right, we must diligently seek him
– Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
3. Memorize Scripture (vs 11)
– vs 11 I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
– Can there be a clearer statement about the importance of memorizing God’s Word
– This is how we find out what we are to obey. If we are not hiding His Word in our hearts, then we’re either making up what is right and wrong or we’re letting someone else tell us what God desires to tell us at the risk of not getting the whole story.
– Take time daily to allow God’s Word to sink in
4. Worship Him (vs 12-13)
– Living right is a statement on what you believe about Christ
– If you’re not living according to God’s Word, you are saying that it’s not that important to honor His Word. Meaning, that He is not that important in your life.
– Our responsibility in life is to bring praise to Him in everything we do, by not living right, we are living in Sin
5. Find Joy In Following (vs 14-16)
– It is actually fun to follow Him. Living our lives according to God’s Word and God’s plan brings joy that you can’t even describe.
– The world’s plan only brings disappointment, fear, discouragement. God’s plan brings life, and life more abundant. – John 10:10
1 Mike and Ruth Greene, Majesty Music Inc.