Pastor Jonathan Falwell
Isaiah 9:6-7a For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of Hisgovernment and peace There will be no end…
1. He redefines hope
Vs 6b And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
- Wonderful – Greater than we can imagine
- Counselor – A guide for our daily struggles
- Mighty God – His divine nature cannot be diminished
- Everlasting Father – His eternal care for His children
- Prince of Peace – the very definition of hope; finally at peace
2. His hope has no end
Vs 7a Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end…
- This is not referring to an earthly government, this is referring to His eternal Kingdom which will come ONE DAY
- This Kingdom will be one of eternal peace
3. His hope has a catch
Acts 4:12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.
Philippians 2:9-11 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Matthew 8 – The Son of Man
John 4 – Messiah
John 8 – Light of the World – you will never walk in darkness
John 8 – I AM
John 10 – the Gate – whoever enters through me will be saved
John 10 – the Good Shepherd – He knows us
John 11 – the Resurrection and the Life
John 13 – Our Lord
John 14 – Way, Truth and Life
Rev 1 – The First and the Last
Rev 22 – the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end
 Gary V. Smith, Isaiah 1–39, ed. E. Ray Clendenen, The New American Commentary (Nashville: B & H Publishing Group, 2007), 242.