Pastor Jonathan Falwell
“And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.'”
Living our lives in the power of Christ’s resurrection should give us purpose and mission. Unfortunately, so many followers of Christ don’t live, they exist, with no purpose, no mission, and no plan in life. God wants us to live on purpose, with mission, with a plan that can not only change us, but change the world.
“And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, ‘All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.’ Amen.”
Why are you here?
Because of Christ within us, we have power to do all that He has called us to. How?
1. We have been commissioned with authority
– verse 18b “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.”
– The greatest hindrance to a Christian knowing and doing what God intends for them to do is the feeling of inadequacy
– God will never give you a purpose in life without giving you the power in life to accomplish it.
– John 14:12 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.”
2. We have been commissioned to make a difference
– verse 19a “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations.”
– Mark 16:15 “And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.”
– The purpose that God has for you is not simply to exist and mark time but to make a difference that could never have been made if you didn’t do it.
– Think about someone that has left a major imprint on your life, then ask yourself how they did it. Whatever that action was, what’s keeping you from doing the same?
”When we commit our lives to Jesus, we commit to an enduring, lifelong mission. We commit to a life of speaking, acting, thinking and relating out the transforming and joyful experience of being in a relationship with Christ. That’s it. Wherever you are, whatever you do, whether you think it’s the best fit or worst job ever – God wants you to live out His mission.” 1 – Nicole Unice
3. We have been commissioned to obey
– verse 20a “…teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you;”
– It is impossible to determine your life’s purpose without living a life of obedience to the one who created you
“Does it make sense to pray for guidance about the future if we are not obeying in the thing that lies before us today? How many momentous events in Scripture depended on one person’s seemingly small act of obedience? Rest assured: Do what God tells you to do now, and depend upon it; you will be shown what to do next.” 2 – Elizabeth Elliott
We will not be alone. Jesus said He would be with us every step of the way.
1 – Start Here: Beginning A Relationship With Jesus. David Dwight, Nicole Unice.
2 – Elisabeth Elliot, Quest for Love: True Stories of Passion and Purity