Pastor Jonathan Falwell
Key Verse: Acts 16:13 (NKJV) So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
1. God can use anyone
Acts 16:13 And on the Sabbath day we went out of the city to the riverside, where prayer was customarily made; and we sat down and spoke to the women who met there. 14 Now a certain woman named Lydia heard us. She was a seller of purple from the city of Thyatira, who worshiped God. The Lord opened her heart to heed the things spoken by Paul. 15 And when she and her household were baptized…
– Lydia had traveled from her home to Philippi to do business
– She was faithful woman who worshiped God, but had not yet been saved. She was following Jewish tradition but not Christ
– Then, we she heard the Gospel from Paul, immediately everything changed. She was the first Christian convert in Europe and one of the key players in the church’s arrival in Europe (her home was the first house church)
2. God can use anyone…anywhere
Acts 16:25 But at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them. 26 Suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone’s chains were loosed. 27 And the keeper of the prison, awaking from sleep and seeing the prison doors open, supposing the prisoners had fled, drew his sword and was about to kill himself. 28 But Paul called with a loud voice, saying, “Do yourself no harm, for we are all here.” 29 Then he called for a light, ran in, and fell down trembling before Paul and Silas. 30 And he brought them out and said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.” 32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes. And immediately he and all his family were baptized. 34 Now when he had brought them into his house, he set food before them; and he rejoiced, having believed in God with all his household.
– Paul and Silas had been beaten and thrown in jail
– They had every reason to be angry and disenfranchised with their faith, but they weren’t, because something was different inside them. What was it?
Three attributes of “anyone” being used “anywhere”…
– In the midst of suffering, they didn’t complain, they worshipped
– In the midst of worshipping, they had their ears open for God’s plan and purpose
– When they heard God’s plan, they responded