Pastor Jonathan Falwell
He delivers and rescues, And He works signs and wonders, In heaven and on earth, Who has delivered Daniel from the power of the lions.
Today, we build on the fantastic story of last week of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. We now move to Daniel 6 and find him in a similar situation that these three found themselves last week. Different King, different conspirators, same old story. Jealousy leading to deception leading to what they hoped would be certain death. But God had a different plan.
Daniel 6:3 Then this Daniel distinguished himself above the governors and satraps, because an excellent spirit was in him; and the king gave thought to setting him over the whole realm. 4 So the governors and satraps sought to find some charge against Daniel concerning the kingdom; but they could find no charge or fault, because he was faithful; nor was there any error or fault found in him. 5 Then these men said, “We shall not find any charge against this Daniel unless we find it against him concerning the law of his God.”
1. Being Faithful In The Tough Times Is Vital
Daniel 6:10 Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went home. And in his upper room, with his windows open toward Jerusalem, he knelt down on his knees three times that day, and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as was his custom since early days.
– Even when Daniel knew that he would pay a price for his faithfulness, he was faithful anyway
2. Our Faithfulness Will Be Noticed By Even Those Against Us
Daniel 6:16 So the king gave the command, and they brought Daniel and cast him into the den of lions. But the king spoke, saying to Daniel, “Your God, whom you serve continually, He will deliver you.”
– The King knew that Daniel was firm in his trust in God
– The King probably didn’t agree that he would be saved, but he knew that Daniel believed it
3. Our Faithfulness Breeds Confidence When We Need It Most
Daniel 6:21 Then Daniel said to the king, “O king, live forever! 22 My God sent His angel and shut the lions’ mouths, so that they have not hurt me, because I was found innocent before Him; and also, O king, I have done no wrong before you.”
4. Our Faithfulness Changes Others
Daniel 6:26 I make a decree that in every dominion of my kingdom men must tremble and fear before the God of Daniel. For He is the living God, And steadfast forever; His kingdom is the one which shall not be destroyed, And His dominion shall endure to the end. 27 He delivers and rescues, And He works signs and wonders In heaven and on earth, Who has delivered Daniel from the power of the lions.
– Daniel was comforted in knowing that the same God that had sustained him in the good times is the same God that would sustain him in the bad times
5. Our Faithfulness Is Only Possible When It Comes From The Heart
Daniel 1:8 But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s delicacies, nor with the wine which he drank; therefore he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.
– Half hearted faith will never result in total victory
– Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself early in his life and it sustained him throughout his days