Pastor Jonathan Falwell
Key Verse: Matthew 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
Today we conclude our look at the “Famous Last Words” of Jesus during His time here on earth. The words we’ve studied to this point were all statements made from the cross, but today we shift to two final statements. Statements made as he left this earth and as He promised to return soon. These statements give us hope, challenge and encouragement. Honestly, there’s never been a better time for us to be reminded of these words.
1. Fear Not
Matt. 28:18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.”
- We are told at least 365 times in the Bible to “Fear Not”
- While those words are often repeated, it is only possible when look at this command from Christ through the lens of Matt. 28:18
- Christ has been give ALL authority
2. Make A Difference
Matt. 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit
Acts 1:8 “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
Mark 16:15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.”
- In other words, make a difference until I return
- How do we make a difference? Through the Gospel
3. Do The Right Thing
Matt. 28:20a teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you;
- Jesus made it clear we have an obligation to obey
- James 4:17 tells us it is sin to not obey
- John 14:15 “If you love me, keep my commandments”
4. You’re Not Alone
Matt. 28:20b …and lo, I am with you always, evento the end of the age.” Amen.
- Isn’t it encouraging to know the same Jesus who stated in verse 18 He has all authority went on to tell us in verse 20 “I will be with you always”
…And, you’ll never be alone!
Revelation 22:20-21 He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming quickly.” Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus! 21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ bewith you all. Amen.