Key Verse: Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
* Wonderful – the wonder of Christmas season is nothing compared to the wonder He brings
* Counselor – When life falls apart and we don’t know what to do, He came to be the One to guide us through our most difficult day
* Mighty God – With Him, nothing is impossible
* Everlasting Father – In the loneliness of life, He is the one with always open arms
* Prince of Peace – In the midst of chaos, He is the constant source of peace
He is all of these things, but so much more. He is the LIGHT OF THE WORLD. He is your light in the midst of all the darkness we face.
Isaiah 9:2 The people who walked in darkness Have seen a great light; Those who dwelt in the land of the shadow of death, Upon them a light has shined.
* “land of the shadow of death” – Heb. 9:27, …appointed unto man once to die
Rom 5:12 …through one man..death entered
* We are all in the land of the shadow of death
* We need LIGHT
“A light has shined” is the image of what the birth of Christ would mean for us all. And, oh how that light is needed.
Isaiah 60:1-3 Arise, shine; For your light has come! And the glory of the Lord is risen upon you. 2 For behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, And deep darkness the people; But the Lord will arise over you, And His glory will be seen upon you. 3 The Gentiles shall come to your light, And kings to the brightness of your rising.
The wise men came to see this baby born as the light of the world.
Matthew 2:1-2 Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, 2 saying, “Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him.”
John 1:1-5 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God.3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
Sad words indeed. The light shines, but world didn’t understand. The story of Christmas is the light that shines to take away the darkness from the world, from you!
Will you let Him?