Pastor Jonathan Falwell
Christmas is a time when the word hope is used a great deal. While it is the desire of every human, we are often left disappointed because we look for hope in the wrong places.
Isaiah 9:6-7a For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end…
The Prince of Peace is the very source we have all been looking for. But when looking in the wrong place, we find pain, not peace. The book of Psalms we find a good description of what happens to us when we go to any other source than the Prince of Peace!
Psalm 6:2-3 Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am weak; O Lord, heal me, for my bones are troubled. 3 My soul also is greatly troubled; But You, O Lord—how long?
1. There is no pain too great
Vs 2a Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am weak…
- David was experiencing great anguish because of his great sin
- He felt as if the pain of life had become so great, he could no longer bear it
John 16:31-33 Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe? 32 Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me. 33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
2. There is no grip too strong
Vs 2b …O Lord, heal me, for my bones are troubled
- David’s pain went far beyond discomfort, it affected every aspect of his life
- This was from a mental anguish that seemed hopeless
Psalm 31:24 Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart, All you who hope in the Lord.
3. There is no journey too far
Vs 3a My soul also is greatly troubled; But You, O Lord…
- When we get to the point where our pain and hopelessness goes beyond the physical and emotional and goes to our soul
- David’s pain had exceeded what he thought was humanly possible
- But he recognized there was only one way out
Ephesians 2:4-5 But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
1 Peter 1:3-5 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
Psalm 6:4 Return, O Lord, deliver me Oh, save me for Your mercies’ sake!